You may quickly examine a data collection using various visual representation approaches including charts, line graphs, and heat maps. For instance, you can utilize heat maps to comprehend student performance. This is because you can see which students failed and received grades that were above average by looking at the heat map.
Well, this is just one example of how heat maps may be used to show data. You can construct a heat map using Google Sheets as well. But did you know that Google Sheets allows you to make two different kinds of heat maps? Yes! Notably, you can produce a heat map with a single hue or a color gradient.
The basic steps to make a heat map in Google Sheets are explained in this post. Both the color gradient and the heat map with a single color are included in this. Let’s examine the guide now that that has been said.
Google Sheets Heat Map: What is it?
In order to provide a visual cue on how the data fluctuates in a particular data collection, a technique known as a heat map uses many colors or just one hue. Therefore, you can use heat maps to clarify and comprehend complex data.
Additionally, it spans across two dimensions. It can be utilized for practically every profession you can think of. A heat map can be used by a teacher to display how many pupils received 90 or higher. By making a sales heat map, a sales manager can determine which sales rep is performing the best.
How to Create Color Gradient Heat Map in Google Sheets
- Choose the cells in the Google Sheet from which you want to generate a heat map with a color gradient.
- Click the Format button in the upper Menu bar, then select Conditional formatting.
- Right-side sidebar will expand with the title Conditional format rules. You must choose the Color Scale option.
- All of the standard color gradient heat map templates are available under the Preview button. Be aware that the color on the left corresponds to the low value due to the way the colors are arranged. The high values are applicable to the color on the right at the same time.
A different choice is Customize color scale. You can customize the color scheme of this color gradient heat map using this.
- Additionally, you can select a minimum, a maximum, and the color gradient heat map will be made in accordance with those values.
- Click the Done button after picking the color scheme. For the chosen data collection, this will produce a heat map with a color gradient.
How to Create Single Color Heat Map in Google Sheets
Heat maps with a single color are dynamic. This indicates that the cells will automatically change color to reflect the formatting each time you update the value in a cell. You can learn how to make a single-color heat map in the section below.
- Choose the values for which you want to use Google Sheets to generate a single color heat map.
- Select the Conditional formatting option under the Format tab.
- Pick the Single color option in the Conditional formatting pane.
- Select the Format cells option under the Format rules header. Choose the Greater than option from the drop-down list.
- Enter the appropriate value for the data set you have selected in the Greater than field.
Also, the Formatting style choice is located just beneath the Formatting rules. You can choose the color you want to use to highlight the cells above number 68,500 here.
- Simply click the Done button when you are finished. You’ll see that Sheets will use the chosen color to highlight all cells above $68,500.
Use Heat Map to Analyze Data Quickly
Heat Map Google Sheets can be appealing to a wider spectrum of customers, including both logical and creative thinking, because they are simple to understand and beautiful to look at. Additionally, Heat Map Google Sheets’ versatility makes it possible for them to be used in a variety of situations rather than just one.
However, when businesses expand, there are more data sources available, which results in enormous data volumes. Manually handling, compiling, and integrating all of that data on a regular basis takes time away from resources that may be better spent on crucial business operations. FileDrop can offer an elegant solution.