Managing and keeping track of files in Google Drive can sometimes be daunting, especially if you have numerous shared files across different folders. The ability to generate a report can significantly streamline this process, giving you insights into shared statuses, file sizes, and more.
In this tutorial, I’ll walk you through the process of generating a folder report in Google Sheets using the new sidebar feature in FileDrop. Let’s dive in!
The newly introduced sidebar feature in FileDrop that enables you to generate detailed folder reports. With this, you can easily check the sharing status of your files and much more.
- Access the FileDrop Sidebar:Open your Google Drive and locate the FileDrop sidebar. If it’s your first time, you might notice the “folder report” feature. This tool lets you generate reports, especially to verify if files within specific folders are shared.
- Copy the Folder ID:Navigate to the folder you wish to generate a report for and copy its ID.
- Generate the Report:
- Return to the FileDrop sidebar.
- Click on “generate report.”
Note: Depending on the number of files within the folder, this process might take some time. For folders with a large number of files, the system needs a bit more time to read and process all the data.
- Review the Report:Once the report is generated, you’ll see several columns of data:
- Title: Name of the file.
- ID: Unique identifier of the file.
- URL: Direct link to access the file.
- Type: File format or type.
- Size: The size of the file or folder.
- Location: Where the file or folder is stored within Google Drive.
- Owner: Account that owns the file.
- Shared With: Details of other users who have access, including editors and viewers.
- Timestamps: This includes the file’s creation date and the last time it was modified.
You can leverage the file ID in various ways. In our other Google Sheets tutorials you can learn how you can utilize this ID for other functionalities within Google Drive and FileDrop.
Generating a folder report in Google Sheets using FileDrop’s new sidebar feature is a straightforward and efficient process. It not only helps you manage your files better but also offers insights into sharing statuses, file details, and more. Stay tuned for more tips on maximizing your Google Drive experience with FileDrop!