In this tutorial, we will walk you through the steps to share files or folders with your colleagues effortlessly. Whether you need to collaborate on a project or simply distribute important documents, FileDrop makes the process straightforward. So, let’s get started!
Here is the text version.
Sharing a Single File or Folder:
Step 1: Accessing FileDrop
(if you don’t have FileDrop installed you can install it from here)
First, open Extensions-> FileDrop->Folder Tools menu in your Google Sheets document.
Step 2: Choose Your File or Folder
Go to your Google Drive and copy the folder id or the file id and paste in the Option 1 field.
Step 3: Define Permissions
Now, decide who you want to share the selected file or folder with. Enter the email addresses of your colleagues in the provided field.
Choose the appropriate share type:
- Editor: Allows users to edit the file or folder.
- Viewer: Grants read-only access.
- Commenter: Allows users to leave comments.
- Owner: Provides full control over the file or folder.
- Anyone: Makes the file or folder accessible to anyone on the internet.
Step 4: Sharing
After specifying the recipients email addressses and their permissions, click the “Share” button.
You will receive a success message indicating that the sharing process was successful. The user will receive an email with a link of the file.
Step 5: Verify Access
Return to your folder or file, you should now see that the intended users have the specified access permissions.
Step 6: Removing Access
If needed, you can revoke access by returning to the sharing settings and removing specific users or changing their permissions.
Sharing Multiple Files:
Step 1: List Files in Sheet
To share multiple files efficiently, go back to your chosen folder and copy the folder ID.
Note: It’s recommended to use this method for folders with fewer than 1000 files due to current limitations.
Click on the button List files to share.
Step 2: Prepare the Sharing List
In your Google Sheet it will generate a list of the files that are in the speficied folder. Here you can chose what file to share by adding the commands like the email you want to share with and permissions.
- File: 7.jpg
- Email: email@example.com
- Permission: Editor
- Continue adding more files and their corresponding sharing details as needed.
- You can even use filters to customize the sharing type for each file.
- Once you’ve listed all the files and their sharing information, click the “Share Files from Sheet” button.
- This action will efficiently share all the files based on the details you provided in your Google Sheet.
Step 5: Verification
- To ensure that the sharing process was successful, go back to your demo folder and refresh the view.
- Check that all files have the correct permissions and that any mistakes have been corrected.
FileDrop’s Folder Tools sidebar simplifies the process of sharing files and folders in Google Sheets. Whether you need to collaborate on projects or distribute important documents, this tool streamlines the process, making it quick and efficient.
Remember to double-check your sharing details to avoid any mistakes, and enjoy the convenience of seamless file and folder sharing with FileDrop.